Pride Center staff and other University stakeholders are actively working on updating Lehigh's internal policies & systems to better meet the needs of transgender community members. Currently, students who have obtained a legal name and/or gender change must bring proof of the change to the Registrar's Office in order to have the change updated in all University systems. More information about state-by-state regulations for changes on identity documents can be found here.
Students who have not obtained a legal name change can designate a chosen name that will update the name that displays when they send emails. In order to do this:
- Sign into your Google account.
- In the top right corner, click on the gear.
- Select "Settings."
- Select "Account."
- In the "Send mail as" section, locate the email address you'd like to edit and click "Edit Info" next to the email address.
- In the "Name" section, specify your chosen name and click "Save Changes."
Unfortunately, if you have sent emails with an old name, your name may not update for all others who you have emailed. Feel free to encourage them to follow the following steps to update a contact's name in their gmail account:
- Click on the 9 little squares in the upper right hand corner.
- Go to contacts (you may have to select "more").
- If you have saved their information, you can edit it directly.
- Otherwise, you may have to go to "frequently contacted," which is on the left hand side.
- This lists everyone that you have emailed, and you can find the old name and directly edit it.
Students who have not obtained a legal name change can also update their name in Banner so that their chosen name appears on on-campus housing rosters. In order to do this:
- Log into the Connect Lehigh portal.
- Click "Banner."
- Click "Personal Information."
- Click "Update Preferred First Name."
You can also update your chosen first name on LINC (Lehigh Involvement Connection) by opening your profile settings and entering in your chosen first name.
Students who have not obtained a legal name change can also designate their chosen first name to appear on their Lehigh ID card rather than their legal name. To receive a new Lehigh ID card that displays your chosen name at no charge, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name that you would like on your card, along with your LIN. Please note that there may be situations where legal identification is required in which your updated Lehigh ID card will not be sufficient. These situations may include, but are not limited to: picking up financial aid or payroll checks, picking up transcripts, & attendance at exams. Please be prepared to present 2 forms of ID in these scenarios.
Note: Currently, this option is only available to students who identify as transgender, gender non-conforming, or non-binary.
Transgender students may also get their chosen first names updated on CourseSite. Please email email@example.com for assistance with this.
Unfortunately, chosen first names do not currently display on course rosters. Some students may choose to email their faculty members before their first class to indicate the name they go by to minimize confusion and the potential for revealing personal and/or medical information. See the sample email template provided below as an example:
Dear Dr./Prof. _________,
I am registered for your (name of class) this (fall/winter/spring/summer (semester). The name you will see for me on the generated roster is incorrect. My name is _________. Please refer to me using ______ pronouns. If you have a TA assisting with your course, please pass this information along to them as well.